Americans for Prosperity-Ohio announced its endorsement Tuesday for six Ohio state legislative candidates based on their support for a free-market economy, low taxes and quality education.
Andrew Brenner, Mike Rasor, Jim Trakas, Tim Barhorst, Todd Smith and Kristina Roegner all support “removing barriers to opportunity and improving the lives of Ohioans,” said Micah Derry (pictured), director of AFP-Ohio, in a statement.
To support these principled candidates, AFP-Ohio will launch grassroots efforts with canvassing and phone banking backed up by a targeted direct-mail effort.
Derry said the candidates will receive full backing from AFP’s activists in Ohio.
“Our activists are proud to support principled candidates that will work to remove barriers and improve the lives of Ohioans,” he said. “We strongly urge voters in their respective districts to send these policy champions to Columbus.”
AFP released the following comments about each candidate:
- Andrew Brenner: Currently serving as State Representative for Ohio’s 67th district. He has defended our First Amendment rights, and supported increased access to quality education for children. He is running to represent Ohio’s 19th State Senate district in November.
- Mike Rasor: Currently an at-large councilman in Stow, Rasor is running for Ohio’s 37th House District. If elected, he will support lower income taxes for all Ohio families, combat corporate welfare, break down bureaucratic barriers to unleash Ohio’s workforce, and invest in educational opportunities to ensure every child has access to a quality education.
- Jim Trakas: An Ohio businessman and former state representative running to represent Ohio’s 6th House District. If elected, Trakas will vote to eliminate bureaucratic waste and ensure our taxes are not squandered, while also championing educational opportunities and supporting overhauling Obamacare.
- Tim Barhorst: A small-business owner and community leader in Westerville running to represent Ohio’s 19th House District. If elected, Barhorst will support overhauling Obamacare, oppose corporate welfare, and support investing in quality education.
- Todd Smith: Currently serving as State Representative for Ohio’s 43rd House District, Smith sponsored HB720 requiring county sales-tax increases to go before voters on the ballot. He also supports removing barriers to Ohio’s workforce and ending Ohio’s state-owned monopolies.
- Kristina Roegner: Now serving as State Representative for Ohio’s 37th House District, Kristina Roegner introduced legislation to reduce barriers to the workforce in the beauty and construction industries and supported measures to make fuel taxes more transparent at the pump. She also co-sponsored legislation to allow hard-working disaster relief responders more autonomy and less government intrusion in their work.
– – –
Anthony Accardi is a writer and reporter for The Ohio Star.