An Ohio Democrat suggested Wednesday that President Donald Trump’s administration shouldn’t cut funding for the Special Olympics because his 13-year-old son Barron “may need it someday.”
Ellen Connally, former Cuyahoga County Council president and Cleveland Municipal Court judge, made the comments in a Facebook post that has since been deleted, but was obtained by PJ Media.
“Trump kills funds for Special Olympics. Baron [sic] may need it someday,” she wrote. In the comments section of her post, another Ohio Democrat, Jocelyn Conwell, said she’s heard “from a reliable source” that Trump’s “kid does have special needs.”
“He attend [sic] some school in Maryland. Haven’t you noticed how you hardly ever see this kid, and he never says anything. I am not making light of it, just stating some observations. Even though I can’t stand his father,” Conwell said.
Barron’s birthday was last week; he turned 13-years-old.
The comments came amid controversy over Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos’ proposed $17.6 million cut to the Special Olympics, which was included in the $4.75 trillion budget the Trump administration submitted to Congress.
During a hearing on Capitol Hill Thursday, DeVos defended the cuts to the Special Olympics by noting that it’s not a federal program and raises more than $100 million every year.
“Let me just say that I think Special Olympics is an awesome organization, one that is well supported by the philanthropic sector as well,” she said, noting that Trump asked everyone in his Cabinet to make cuts to their departments.
“I’ve given a portion of my salary to Special Olympics. Let’s not use disabled children in a twisted way for your political narrative. That’s just disgusting and is shameful,” DeVos said during one exchange.
Before departing for a rally in Michigan, President Donald Trump told reporters that he has decided to keep the Special Olympics funded, according to USA Today.
“The Special Olympics will be funded. I just told my people I want to fund the Special Olympics,” he said. “I have overridden my people. We’re funding the Special Olympics.”
– – –
Anthony Gockowski is managing editor of Battleground State News, The Ohio Star, and The Minnesota Sun. Follow Anthony on Twitter. Email tips to [email protected].
Photo “Jocelyn Conwell (Left)” by Jocelyn Conwell. Photo “Ellen Connally (Right)” by Ellen Connally.